The Abbot Tavern located at 70 Elm Street in town was owned by Deacon Isaac Abbot and was visited by George Washington during his tour of the Northeast in 1789. He had breakfast here with Samuel Phillips and Deacon Abbot's little girl is told to have mended his riding glove while he dined. He and Judge Phillips returned to Phillips' house and spent a leisurely few hours before moving on to Lexington.
Abbot Tavern Photograph File
Communications Department Phillips Academy
“Abbot Tavern,” Digital Commonwealth , accessed December 9, 2013, http://digitalcommonwealth.org/items/show/5109.