Watertown Arsenal (Mass.).; Army Materials Research Office.; Army Materials and Mechanics Research Center (U.S..).; Materials Technology Laboratory.; U.S. Army Research Laboratory.;
West Lumber Storehouse, built 1851 for $13,721, was also known as Building 27. It corresponded in size and appearance to an earlier storehouse. It was based on the design of a much bigger building at the Springfield Armory. It has full story arcades of windows running the length of the north and south elevations. It was converted in 1893 into an iron and brass foundry. Three years later, the building was lengthened westward by 119 feet for the use of a machine shop. In 1918, the foundry was removed and the building was used to maintain equipment for WWI. The arched windows were later filled in and more additions added.
Watertown Free Public Library
Management Restrictions apply. See application form at http://watertownlib.org/research/historic-watertown/photographs
“Watertown Arsenal,” Digital Commonwealth , accessed March 11, 2014, http://digitalcommonwealth.org/items/show/53459.