Charles River -- Watertown (Mass.),; Waterways -- Massachusetts.; Corporation. ; Business enterprises -- Massachusetts -- Watertown.; Factories -- Watertown (Mass.).; Commercial buildings -- Watertown (Mass.).; Sanger family.; Farmer, Jesse.;
North bank, showing Doors, Sash, and Blind Company, Watertown Dye House and houses. Nathaniel C. Sanger planning and molding mill was on Pleasant Street near Watertown Square. Nathaniel Sanger's house was on Myrtle near Main. The Sanger Mill was a family affair. Abbie and Joseph were the parents and brothers Charles E. and George worked at the Sanger Mill. Joseph had died by 1869. By 1874, it was known as N.C. Sanger and Son Co. and made sash and blinds. Watertown Dye House (right) was managed by Jesse Farmer and it was founded by James McGarvey. It was located on Galen Street near Pleasant Street. Jesse Farmer lived in Cambridgeport. The business office was at 150 Washington Street, Boston. Lewandos purchased the business and shortly aftward, the building was destroyed by fire. Lewandos moved his business around but did not find success until he returned to Watertown. In the background, the Methodist steeple and Whitney (originally White's) Hill can be seen.
Watertown Free Public Library
Management Restrictions apply. See application form at http://watertownlib.org/research/historic-watertown/photographs
“Charles River.,” Digital Commonwealth , accessed March 9, 2014, http://digitalcommonwealth.org/items/show/53686.