Small business -- United States.; Entrepreneurship.; Business.; Commerce.; Business enterprises -- Massachusetts -- Watertown.; Commercial buildings -- Watertown (Mass.).; First Parish Church -- Watertown (Mass.).; Main Street -- Watertown (Mass.).;
Built in 1822 -- used for meals by Union troops of Company K, 16th Mass. Infantry Regiment drilling at Whiting Park during the Civil War. The Spring Hotel played a major role in the life of Watertown. Many behind the scenes meetings occurred there. However, when Town voted against serving intoxicants in 1880, the Hotel closed its doors and boarded up the entrance to the parking lot. After the Hotel closed Alice Potter Silsbee continued to live on the third floor and her brother Briggs Potter kept the livery stables on Spring Street. Hotelkeepers have been, in chronological order, Richardson, Robinson, Batchelder and Silsbee. Tower of First Parish Church in background. First "No Parking" sign in 1880.
Watertown Free Public Library
Management Restrictions apply. See application form at http://watertownlib.org/research/historic-watertown/photographs
“Spring Hotel,” Digital Commonwealth , accessed March 10, 2014, http://digitalcommonwealth.org/items/show/53738.