Phillips Academy -- Buildings
Berry House was the final name for what had been Blunt Tavern, built sometime before 1765 by Captain Isaac Blunt. Blunt had a son who was one of the first thirteen students at Phillips Academy in 1778. Three generations of Blunts lived in the house until it was sold to Mr. Holt who in turn quickly sold it to the Berry family. Although identified as the Blunt Tavern on the back of the photograph, the date, 1901, places the house in the Berry Family hands.
Blunt Tavern Photograph File
Communications Department Phillips Academy
“Blunt Tavern ,” Digital Commonwealth , accessed March 10, 2014, http://digitalcommonwealth.org/items/show/5437.